I’ve now moved my WordPress site to the root of my web site, and I’m pleased to say that the task was much simpler than I expected.
The WordPress installation remains in the same place. All I had to do was log in to WordPress, change the URL for the site address, and then copy and amend a couple of files on my web server. I didn’t need to update my permalinks structure, even though the instructions at codex.wordpress.org suggested that I would need to.
I did do one extra thing though, as I don’t want to confuse Google into thinking that I am trying to confuse it’s search ranking algorithms. The old blog links still work and so I therefore appear to have two identical WordPress sites. Google can penalise you for this in their search rankings. I removed the old blog subdomain name using my web hosting account.
Postscript: removing the subdomain name did cause a rather nasty complication. Once the DNS entries propogated, WordPress stopped working. I had used the subdomain in the WordPress URL and the solution was to update the WordPress URL to use a subdirectory of the main site.
For some time I have been dreading the task of making my website compliant with the new EU legislation on cookies, but as the end of the 12 month period compliance period approaches, I have finally taken a look at what I needed to do.
I do believe that the legislation is badly thought out, is almost un-enforcable and would fail to achieve its intention even if it was enforceable, but I want to comply rather than risk owning the random web site that is used as a test case.
I used cookies to allow visitors to indicate which version of my site they wanted (US or UK; mobile or desktop) and then to automatically return to that version on their next visit. This is not a privacy issue as I don’t record the information anywhere, but it is no longer legal unless I ask the user for permission to store the cookie. To request a users permission without making the site look silly and without annoying the user was going to take more time than I have to spare for this task, so the simple solution was to stop using these cookies.
My earning from adwords have been miniscule, so this is not a financial issue, but simply removing adwords would leave a lot of blank bits in my web site.
I thought my original site was clever, and it was my baby so I am attached to it; but it was rather overcomplicated for the purpose and for the number of visitors it received. Maybe the ICO has done me a favour.