I’ve now moved my WordPress site to the root of my web site, and I’m pleased to say that the task was much simpler than I expected.
The WordPress installation remains in the same place. All I had to do was log in to WordPress, change the URL for the site address, and then copy and amend a couple of files on my web server. I didn’t need to update my permalinks structure, even though the instructions at codex.wordpress.org suggested that I would need to.
I did do one extra thing though, as I don’t want to confuse Google into thinking that I am trying to confuse it’s search ranking algorithms. The old blog links still work and so I therefore appear to have two identical WordPress sites. Google can penalise you for this in their search rankings. I removed the old blog subdomain name using my web hosting account.
Postscript: removing the subdomain name did cause a rather nasty complication. Once the DNS entries propogated, WordPress stopped working. I had used the subdomain in the WordPress URL and the solution was to update the WordPress URL to use a subdirectory of the main site.